Friday, November 16, 2012

A New Place to Call Home

I haven't been very good at keeping up with my November 30 Days of Thanks challenge.  But I am particularly thankful for one thing recently.

Our new home!


For anyone that doesn't know, we have been living with my in-laws for the past 6 weeks.  My husband had been working as a manager for Target for the past year, and I work as an administrative assistant at our alma mater, Anderson University.  We were living in a great little apartment on the north side of Indy, but we both commuted about 40 minutes in opposite directions.  Then, when we had Liam, my commute was even further because I had to drop him off at either my mother-in-laws or daycare every morning.  Korey absolutely hated his job  and was constantly looking for something new.  And in late September, he finally landed on a position at AU too - as a police officer (he graduated with a degree in criminal justice).  It didn't make sense for both of us to commute that far every day in the same direction, so we knew we had to move.  Unfortunately, our lease wasn't up until November, and there was no way we would be able to afford to pay two rents every month.  We also knew we would save loads of money in gas if we moved in with family.  So here we are.

We are lucky to have parents that welcome us to move in with them when we need to, but I am so looking forward to moving into our own place again!  It took us a long time to find a place with the perfect combination: in our price range (aka cheap), not shabby, and not in a shady neighborhood.  TOUGH.  

Finally, about 2 weeks ago, this place popped up in the classified ads at my work, and I called immediately.  What a gem!  It is on a quiet cul-de-sac street in a decent part of town, was right on budget, and even has a washer & dryer!!!  (We've never lived in a place with our own washer & dryer before, so I am PUMPED to say the least.)  The landlord is fantastic and is replacing all the flooring in the living room, kitchen, and bathroom before we move in, and it even has a garage!  It doesn't have a dishwasher, but I decided that wasn't a deal breaker and that the washer & dryer made up for it.  It's also pretty small and has small closets, so we will likely be utilizing some creative organization ideas (hello, pinterest!).  

Anyway, we will be moving before the end of the month, and  I couldn't be happier about it!  I can't wait to have my own kitchen to cook and bake in and to decorate for Christmas!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment