Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Feeding 2 for $50 - Week One!

Starting on my big challenge this week to feed two for just $50 a week (I got this idea from Shanna)!  And let's just say, I'm definitely still learning to keep my budget in check.  I went a good bit over for this week, but luckily I can borrow a little from my "other" budget (the budget for baby, household, etc. items).


What I bought:

1 dozen large eggs $1.98
old fashioned oats $2.19
greek dressing $2.50
applesauce $1.99
pears $2.21
green bell pepper $0.99
3lb bag sweet onions $2.29
3lb bag idaho potatoes $1.88
1 bunch green onions $0.79
classic romaine bagged salad $2.49
frozen chicken breast $7.99
frozen broccoli florets $2.19
5lb bag gala apples $4.99
carrots $0.52
chicken broth (2) $5.98
bacon $3.19
frozen vegetable/rice medley (3) $4.77
honey ham lunch meat $3.00
yellow bell pepper $1.59
large head cauliflower $2.99
bunch bananas  $0.86
sliced cheese $2.19
2% shredded cheddar cheese $2.50
1/2 gal skim milk $1.34
large coffeemate $3.54
barbeque sauce $2.69
reduced fat cream cheese (2) $2.00
light sourcream $1.00
chobani yogurt (6) $6.00
Total: $78.64

What we plan to eat:

Breakfast: Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins, Baked Chocolate Chip Oatmeal, Cereal, Fruit

Lunch: Ham & Cheese Sandwiches or Leftovers with Yogurt and Fruit

Dinner:

  • Sunday - out of town
  • Monday - Potato Soup
  • Tuesday - Crockpot Barbeque Chicken with Twice "Baked" Cauliflower
  • Wednesday - Bacon and Veggie Scrambles with Toast
  • Thursday - leftovers (Korey works)
  • Friday - dinner out
  • Saturday - leftovers (Korey works)

Not sure what exactly put me over because I didn't feel like I was buying that much while I was shopping.  I know I need to keep track of how much I'm spending on the calculator on my phone as I put items in my cart.  This is my starting place - I know it will be a challenge to get the weekly total down, but I think I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment