Saturday, January 26, 2013

Soup Season

With most of the temps being in the single digits this week here in the Midwest, I think it's safe to say we are well into soup season.  I'm a soup lover - I love to eat it (because it's delicious) and I love to make it (because it can be SO easy).

So today I thought I would share some of my favorite recipes that I've made lately.

Becca's Potato Soup
I got this recipe from ... my friend Becca!  I'm not sure where she got it from, but it is SO good.  It's super easy and really tastes like potato soup from a restaurant!  I usually double this recipe so we have leftovers (my husband can eat A LOT of potato soup - it's his favorite).

1 box chicken broth
4 large potatoes, cubes (I leave the skins on)
2 large carrots, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 8oz package reduced fat cream cheese
seasoning to your own taste: garlic salt, lowry's seasoned salt, bay leaf

Heat the potatoes, carrots, onion, bay leaf, and seasonings in the chicken broth until boiling.  Cook until potatoes are softened, still occasionally.  Mash about 1/2-3/4 of the potatoes to thicken the soup.  Turn heat to low and stir in the cream cheese until totally melted.
Becca's rule: whoever gets the bay leaf does the dishes! ;)

Chicken, Black Bean, and Corn Soup
I adapted this recipe a little bit from this one that I posted a while back. 

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
1 can original (or mild if you prefer less spice) rotel
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans
2 cups water (you could probably use chicken stock, too, but I haven't tried that out yet)
10 oz package frozen corn

Throw it all in your crockpot EXCEPT for the corn, give it a quick stir, set it for 8 hours on low, and jump for joy at how good your house smells when you get home.  Take the chicken breasts out, shred 'em up, and add back to the pot along with the corn.  Give it about 10-15 minutes for the corn to heat through, and then enjoy!

Stuffed Pepper Soup
I seriously cannot say enough good things about Skinnytaste's Stuffed Pepper Soup!!  It is so good for you, but feels like such comfort food.  We love it!

1 lb extra lean ground beef (you could probably use ground turkey too!)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 can diced tomatoes
1 box chicken stock
2 cups tomato sauce (we love Barilla Tomato Basil pasta sauce)
1/2 tsp marjoram
salt & pepper to taste
3 cups long grain brown rice

Brown ground meat in a large dutch oven or stock pot.  Drain fat if necessary and add peppers, onion, and garlic.  Cook on low for 5-10 minutes or until peppers and onions are a little soft.  Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, and seasoning.  Cover and simmer on low for at least 30 minutes stirring occasionally (I like to let mine cook for most of the afternoon, but 30 minutes is good if you're in a hurry).  Meanwhile, cook the rice in a separate pot.  To serve, put 1/2 cup rice in a bowl and top with 1 cup soup.  Top with parmesan cheese if desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment